The UK Retail sector witnessed a slowdown in M&A activity during 2016, with 39 completed transactions, down almost 40% from the dizzy heights of 2015. One is instantly drawn to Brexit as the cause (or excuse), yet this is not the case. 52% of transactions in 2016 occurred post-referendum, indicating that confidence in the sector, much like the UK consumer, has weathered the storm and confounded many observers' predictions that M&A activity would fall off a precipice following the UK's historic vote to leave. This newsletter is a periodic review of M&A activity and trends affecting the UK Retail Sector.
In this edition, we:
- Assess the key factors affecting retailers and consumers in 2017;
- Analyse UK retail M&A activity since January 2016;
- Examine the critical areas to consider when developing an omni-channel proposition;
- Highlight our most recent transactions: The Cotswold Co. and Long Tall Sally and
- Consider the M&A outlook for the remainder of this year.